The Dutch chief prosecutor, chairman of the international joint investigation team, Fred Westerbeke, has said that Russia was aware that the Malaysian flight MH17 was shot down by the Russian-made Buk anti-aircraft missile system from the 53rd Russian anti-aircraft missile brigade, but kept silence about it.
“We now have information, there is evidence that the Russian Federation is involved in this tragedy and this crime one way or another,” UNIAN quoted Westerbeke, as saying.
According to the chief prosecutor, after July 17, 2014, Russia could report exactly what had happened.
“I am convinced Russia knows what has happened, because the Buk anti-aircraft missile system from the 53rd brigade [the anti-aircraft missile brigade of the Russian armed forces deployed in Kursk – ed.] was used, and she knows it, without providing us with this information. I would not call it cooperation,” Westerbeke stressed.
He also stated that the Buk air defense system was delivered to the occupied territory of Donbas from Russia after July 11, 2014.
“We want to know who was involved in the decision-making process in Russia,” said Westerbeke.
It is also noted that the trial to punish those responsible can last at least a year.
At the same time, Dutch police officer Wilbert Paulissen, head of the National Crime Squad, said that he had already managed to communicate with about 300 witnesses.
“We have all the proper mechanisms to provide protection to witnesses through an appropriate program,” Paulissen said.
As The Journalist reported, Netherlands, Australia negotiate with Russia.